Am 26.06.2013 um 14:07 schrieb Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
<l...@pontex.cz>:

> Hello,
>
> there are several similar commands to produce text (or another object) to be
> centered on the line.
>
> What are differences (or intended usage) among \centerline, \midaligned,
> \startalignment[middle]?
>
> (NB: \centerline has no its-own page on wiki, but it is used at several
> places in wiki samples.
>
> \centerline was also mentioned here in the mailing list, when I was trying to
> center "tabulate" - and neither \midaligned nor \startalignment[middle]
> combined with \dontleavehmode worked.)

The three commands

  - \leftline,
  - \rightline and
  - \centerline

are copied from plain TeX and allow you to center short text which fits on a
single line but it isn’t recommended to use them because ConTeXt has it’s own
alternative for them. The replacement commands are

  - \leftaligned,
  - \rightaligned and
  - \midaligned.

Even though each command is only meant for short text you use the \\ command to
put text into several lines, e.g.

  \starttext
  \midaligned{One\\Two\\Three}
  \stoptext

creates three lines for the input. In recent installations you can write

  \startlinealignment[left|middle|right]
  …
  \stopalignment

as a alternative to \leftaligned etc.

With the alignment environment you can change the alignment of the text for a
certain region. Unlike the line alignment environment you can use text which
covers more than a single line.

  \starttext
  \input knuth\par
  \startalignment[middle]