Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> The tabulate environment has no support for spanned cells.

The TABLE mechanism does, though, and that is probably the mkiv
standard for writing non-trivial tables. It's a bit more verbose, but
it can do an enormous number of things -- including many things that
the tabulate mechanism can't. Wiki link:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TABLE

The equivalent of \use{2}\ReFormat[c]{text} would be this (rest of
table code added to make this example self-contained and compilable):

\bTABLE
  \bTR
    \bTD[nc=2, align=center] text \eTD
  \eTR