Dear Wolfgang,

Thank you very much.  This is very helpful.

One note is that to center the footer required

\setupletterframe[foot][align=middle]

(NOT \setupletterlayer.  Per http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Letter#Setup)

A couple more questions.
(1) is there a more efficient way to indent only the content of the letter:

\setupindenting[yes,small]
\setuplettersection[opening][indenting=no]
\setuplettersection[subject][indenting=no]
\setuplettersection[closing][indenting=no]
\setuplettersection[signature][indenting=no]

(2) The following did not properly left-justify the date (the date was
towards the left but was not perfectly aligned with the other
left-justified text):
\setupletterlayer[reference][alternative=e]

Thank you again.

Best,
Michael

--
Michael Ash, Chair, Department of Economics
Professor of Economics and Public Policy