Thank you very much; this was again very helpful.   I am still having a
problem with left-justifying the date:

\setupletterlayer[reference][alternative=c]

does not properly left-justify the date; the date is towards the left but
is aligned several mm to the right of the other text.  (This was true on
the mwe that Wolfgang sent.)

BTW are the values for the "alternative" key (example, e, c, etc.)
documented somewhere?

Thank you again.

Best,
Michael