I think that I have found an answer:  in the \setupinteraction command that
manages URL's, hyperlinks, PDF properties, etc. include
color=,contrastcolor=,

\usemodule[letter]

%% Would like this URL to match the color of the return address ("location")
\useURL[author-email][mailto:aut...@myhome.com][][aut...@myhome.com]
%% Would like this URL to match the color of the recipient's address
("address")
\useURL[recipient-email][mailto:addres...@gmail.com][][addres...@gmail.com]
%% Would like this URL to match the color of the main body
\useURL[knuthbio][
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Knuth][][http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Knuth
]

\setupinteraction[state=start,color=,contrastcolor=,style=normal]

\setupletter[
  name={Michael Ash},
  email={\from[author-email]}
  ]

\setupletter[signature={Michael Ash}]

\defineletterelement[layer][location][example]{\correspondenceparameter{name}
\correspondenceparameter{email}\par}
\setupletterlayer[location][alternative=example,color=red]

\defineletterelement[layer][address][example]{\correspondenceparameter{toname}\par}
\setupletterlayer[address][alternative=example,color=blue]

\starttext
\startletter[
  toname={The Addressee\\\from[recipient-email]},
  opening={Dear Addressee:},
  closing={Best regards,}]

  Enjoy \from[knuthbio]

\stopletter
\stoptext

--
Michael Ash, Chair, Department of Economics
Professor of Economics and Public Policy