I did try that, but it doesn't seem to exist in my font. Besides, I'm inclined
to agree with Khaled on math accents. I think that what I'm trying to do
shouldn't be that hard, I just want the \mathhat accent to be placed a little
higher. Something like \skew in plain TeX, but in the vertical direction.

Michael