On Wed, 28 Aug 2013, Meer, H. van der wrote:

Do I understand ypu correctly then that:

(1) textext delivers a picture containing what it did typeset, regardless of
the setting of drawop
(2) drawoptions (withcolor red) then applies the color to that picture?

But then there is a complication.
On input textext("\tfb text") the above seems to apply, but submitting
textext("\orange\tfb text") makes the text orange coloured in spit of the drawoptions
setting. Thus textext seems to behave differently for getting an explicit color for its content or
not.

Before ripping the program for a minimal example I would like to first have a clear understanding of the functioning of textext in relation to metapost. It seems that as yet I do not have a clear enough picture of that process.

The example below illustrates what is happening:

\starttext
\startMPcode
  newpicture p;

  drawoptions (withcolor red);
  p := image (addto currentpicture doublepath unitsquare scaled 1cm );
  drawoptions ();

  draw p;
\stopMPcode
\stoptext

drawoptions() are used only when you use draw or fill (look up their definition in mp-base.mpiv). textext does not use draw or fill. If you want drawoptions to be honored, you can do something as follows:

\starttext

\startMPcode
  newpicture p;

  drawoptions (withcolor red);