Regarding "sane" interlinespace,
Hans wrote,
> ok, but then, an interlinespace is normally around 1.2 times the
> bodyfontsize

OK. That's helpful.

But notice that in the following example, the interline space that
causes the problem is in the *first* section (where htdp is 12pt and
baselineskip is also 12pt!), while the gap shows up in the *second*
section, whose interlinespace is 2.8ex:

\def\printHtdp{\setbox0\hbox{()} \the\htdp0,\the\baselineskip}

\definecolumnset[columnset1][n=2]

\setupcolumnset[columnset1][distance=5mm,balance=yes]

\starttext

\section{Introduction}

\setupinterlinespace[line=12pt]

\startcolumnset[columnset1]

\printHtdp

\dorecurse {7} { \input knuth }

\stopcolumnset

\section{Bibliography}

\tfxx

\setupinterlinespace[line=2.8ex] %or use 11pt

\startcolumnset[columnset1]

\printHtdp

\dorecurse {10} { \input knuth }

\stopcolumnset

\stoptext

Since the problem can appear a ways after the cause, that makes it an
especially hard problem to track down, especially for someone who is
unaware of the nature of the problem. But even now that we're aware of
what the problem (hopefully) is, we've not been able to fix it in our
real-life document.

We sprinkled in many places the code to show htdp and baselineskip
(\printHtdp). E.g. in the early sections that would putatively cause the
problem, our htdp/baselineskip in 8.60252pt,10.5pt. That's a ratio of
more than 1.2. We have eliminated all the places we could find where the
htdp/baselineskip ratio was less than 1.2, even where there was no text.
But the gap persists.

We have a large and complex document, so there might conceivably be
places where a larger htdp than expected is hiding. Are there any tools
for automatically going through a document and reporting places where
not-sane interlinespace occurs?

Thanks,
Lars