On 11/4/2013 10:46 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
On 11/4/2013 3:34 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
- you can find Gentium at http://www.ctan.org/pkg/gentium-tug (also in
TeX Live and in the ConTeXt distribution)

Thank you ... that was key information I didn't have.
I was instead downloading the TTF files from sil.org.

- Gentium works out-of-the-box in ConTeXt (see the documentation of
gentium-tug)

When you say "out of the box", I think you're referring to the
gentium-tug package box, not the ConTeXt box... in other words, I should
not expect Gentium to work just because I installed ConTeXt; I have to
also install gentium-tug, right?
If not, I must be doing something wrong because I can't find Gentium in
the luatex-cache font database.

Did you run (file database)

  mtxrun --generate

normally the font database is regenerated automatically when needed.

This is under TeX Live 2013, the context scheme, and I've been using
ConTeXt mkiv.
So why bother about pdfTeX?

Only because the latest instructions I could find said to use texfont,
which uses ttf2afm, which was missing and I thought it might come from
pdfTeX. I'm glad to know I don't have to, and I'll update that wiki page
accordingly.

It was (is?) part of the pdftex suite because pdftex can embed a ttf font even if type-1 variant afm/tfm files are used. The main purpose of texfont was to make type 1 fonts ready for tex (by generating tfm files). In the meantime the lm/gust project provide the files needed for the most relevant fonts, but for other (like commercial) fonts you still need to generate tfm's of course. Anyhow, as Mojca pointed out: there is no need for this in mkiv (luatex). One can still use type one fonts or course but nothing special is needed for that as context will treat them as wide fonts.