On 11/10/2013 10:12 AM, Francisco Gracia wrote:
*Fleurons* are small decorative pieces that were often used in the past for filling big blank spaces in books. They are seldom used nowdays. As besides they will not appear more than a few times in any book (mainly at the end of chapters), the easiest thing to do if one insists in using them (for instance for simulating an old edition of some past work) is to arrange its presence manually in the source document in the way one would do for any other figure or piece of text.

The following has worked quite well for me. I hate using a centered "* * *" for a thematic break so I use a fleuron. I write fiction, not math-filled academic-journal articles or textbooks so this may not be applicable in your case.

First, I use one of many available "dingbat" fonts to provide the fleuron. I am partial to the curly-ques in Nymphette (a readily-available free font) but there are many others.

In my preamble I define:

\definefont[FleuronFont] [nymphette sa 1.5]

Then where I want to place a fleuron I can do something like this.

\midaligned{{\MedBlue \FleuronFont g}}

In this case, the text letter 'g' corresponds to the particular little symbol I want.

YMMV

--
Bill Meahan, Westland, Michigan

“Writing is like getting married. One should never
   commit oneself until one is amazed at one's luck.”

                               —Iris Murdoch

This message is digitally signed with an X.509 certificate
to prove it is from me and has not been altered since it was sent.