Aditya Mahajan <adit...@umich.edu> writes:

> This is to announce that the latest beta supports creating virtual math
> fonts with fallback. The main test case is to use Euler font with missing
> characters taken from Pagella but the mechanism is general and can be used
> to replace a specific set of math glyphs from a font.
>
> This feature is not extensively tested. As such it will be useful if
> everyone interested in math fallback mechanism could test this out and
> report any bugs or inconsistencies.

I would like to test and hopefully use this setup for _Street-Fighting
Science and Engineering_.  It should also give the setup a thorough
workout.  But I can't quite get the preamble right.

The test file below typesets text and math in palatino.

  \usetypescriptfile[euler-with-pagella]
  \definebodyfontenvironment[10.5pt]
  \setupbodyfont[palatino,10.5pt]

  \starttext

  \input knuth

  \placeformula\startformula
  a^2 + b^2 = c^2.
  \stopformula

  \stoptext

If I add

  \appendtoks \rm \to \everymathematics
  \setupmathematics[lcgreek=normal, ucgreek=normal]

just before \starttext, the math is typeset in roman pagella.

What am I doing silly?

Also, one of my reservations about using Euler for math, which readers
complained about in _Street-Fighting Mathematics_, is that v and \nu
(kinematic viscosity) look so similar.  Do you know any way to make them
more distinguishable, e.g. by substituting a different character?

-Sanjoy