On 2014-02-22 Jan Tosovsky wrote:

> when a punctuated phrase appears at the beginning of the line, it is
> not protruded correctly when preceded by an index term.
>
> ... \index{foo}>Bar< ...
>
> A minimal example is available at
> http://drifted.in/other/sample.tex
>
> I cannot place the space character between these two parts (which
> helps) as I sometimes need to join this and the previous phrase with
> the non-breaking space.

It is more serious issue than expected. Consider next two variants:

(1) sentence, \index{primary}>Primary<
(2) sentence,\index{primary} >Primary<

When the line is broken after a comma:
ad 1) starting guillemet is not protruded
ad 2) ending comma is not protruded

When \index is surrounded by spaces from both sides, the space is rendered
at the beginning of the next line (resulting in 'indenting').

:-S

I'd be grateful for ignoring any non document content preceding punctuation
to avoid its influence on protrusion.

Thanks, Jan