I have requirements similar to those of Stéphane Goujet to reproduce the typography of earlier times, and I tried to adapt the code presented in his note earlier today titled “Quotation blocs with repetition symbol in the left column.”

The result of this attempt is the discovery of two issues with linenumbering. I will present these in separate notes. This note involves an unfortunate interaction with bidi. The other problem involves startnarrower.

Both issues occur with the current 20140328 beta.

Adding the line \setupdirections[bidi=on,method=two] to Stéphane’s example results in the disappearance of the guillemots that would otherwise be placed as linenumbers. In my case, this bidi variant is needed to prevent misplaced references. The issue of misplaced references was discusssed in a recent thread by Pablo Rodriguez (Re: [NTG-context] (again) bug with bidi direction and \about references, begun on 3 March).

The bidi issue does not occur with TL2013, although perhaps method=two is meaningless there. Other bidi options do not show this problem.

--
Rik Kabel