I have a customer that uses a publisher that has
truly weird requirements. The weirdness is
that the locaters are not page numbers but
paragraph numbers. And some paragraph numbers
start with the prefix 'BO' and others with the
chapter number.  so a correct sequence would be
BO.15 3.2

A finished  sequence would be

goddess @@ BO.15 3.2 3.5

The sort order has to be letter by letter,
as defined in the Chicago Manual of Style.

Can Context sort and summarize these locaters?

I can even change the BO sequence to 0 (zero) and
then change it back later on. The key is can
Context sort by paragraph number rather than
page number for an index.

I have looked into Xindy for this job but the
learning curve is pretty steep and the
documentation pretty opaque. makeindex won't
handle decimals for locators. I don't mind doing
a little reformatting along the way (I already
have for this project) but I don't want to
rewrite makeindex or xindy just for this
job.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press