On 21.05.2014 09:54, Hans Hagen wrote:

In fact, awareness of pdf as option is (imo) mostly surfacing because
html viewers opened their eyes. We can produce highly interactive
documents but I still have to meet the first publishers who really wants
them (given that they see it as option). It is not uncommon for
publishers to waste many man years (hiring extra people) on getting
stuff on the web using the same sources that are used to get the paper:
paper becomes a side effect.

Just a small anecdote to confirm: about 3 years ago, I did a book with a publisher here in Germany. They wanted to do an ebook as well, so I told them I could easily add interactive features etc. They said no, that wasn't necessary, they had their own experts working on these things. These experts ended offering the exact same pdf I had sent them as a "ebook" download, with cropmarks and context information at the bottom of the page. Bloody amateurs...

Thomas