On 5/25/2014 7:06 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
On 2014-05-25 00:12, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

On May 24, 2014, at 1:12 PM, Rik Kabel <cont...@rik.users.panix.com
<mailto:cont...@rik.users.panix.com>> wrote:

On 2014-05-24 06:26, Hans Hagen wrote:
On 5/24/2014 4:11 AM, Rik Kabel wrote:
For the /\framed/ command, any value for the key /align /other than a
null value pushes the frame beyond the bottom margin on a landscape
page
for many values of /orientation/. The following MWE demonstrates this:

    \setuppapersize [A4,landscape]
    \starttext
\framed[orientation=90,align=no]{\externalfigure[dummy]}
    \stoptext

It also seems that the default value of /align/// is not /no/ as the
wiki suggests, since there is a very different result when no align
key
is provided and when it is provided as above with /no/, if by a
default
value one means that, when a given key is not explicitly provided,
processing will occur as if it had been provided with that particular
value.

\setuppapersize [A4,landscape]

\starttext

\framed[orientation=90,width=\textheight,align=no]{\externalfigure[dummy]}

\stoptext

Thank you, Hans. That pointed me in the right direction, although it
is not the solution in my case.

The problem was with align=no. It does not, as I surmised, lead to
the same result as having no align key at all. The following shows
the differences clearly. What I am after is the fifth page. I would
think that the wiki is incorrect in stating that the default value
for the align key is no, but I do not know what is the proper
description of the default.

    \setuppapersize [A5,landscape][A4]
    \definebodyfontenvironment [default][d=6]
    \showframe
    \starttext
    \framed[align=no]{\tfd 1}
    \page
    \framed[]{\tfd 2}
    \page
    \framed[orientation=90,align=no,width=\textheight]{\tfd 3}
    \page
    \framed[orientation=90,align=no]{\tfd 4}
    \page
    \framed[orientation=90]{\tfd 5}
    \stoptext

Without any align key, \framed is a \hbox; with align it is a \vbox.
That might explain the difference that you see. Try adding
\dontleavehmode in front of \framed

Aditya

Alas, Aditya, \dontleavehmode does not appear to make a difference.

I think that we might expect frames 1 and 4 above to produce similar
results, as do frames 2 and 5. They do not, and I am trying to
understand why that is.

The fact that it is landscape just exacerbates the problem, pushing some
of the text off the page. Remove that and the differences are still
there; the text is still on the page although not where I expect it.
Hans's resetting of the width does make the landscape result the same as
the portrait result, with the frame pushed just to the lower edge of the
text area, but it does not address the different treatment with and
without align.

it's a different issue

one of the 'features' of framed is that (in mkii as well as mkiv) it can determine the minimum width of a paragraph and orientation doesn't work well with that

in the source you will find a comment:

\pack_framed_stop_orientation % hm, wrong place ! should rotate the result (after reshape)

if you move that line to after

   \edef\p_framed_empty{\framedparameter\c!empty}%
   \ifx\p_framed_empty\v!yes
     \pack_framed_fake_box
   \fi
\pack_framed_stop_orientation % here

you get what you expected ... but ... such a change can only happen when we're sure it work out okay always