Hello Keith and Luigi,

On 06 Nov 2014, at 17:57, Keith J. Schultz <keithjschu...@web.de> wrote:

> Hi Pierre,
>
> I think you are approaching your problem from the wrong direction!
>
> The way I understand your problem is that you have certain criteria in your
> slides
> when encountered decides whether it should be output or not.
Yes.

> If this is the case then what you have is a classical parsing problem.
>
> That is you start parsing the content of the slide, until you find the
> criteria
> that excludes it or come to the end of the slide.
> If you find the criteria then you just continue reading to the end of the
> slide and not output it,
> otherwise send the gathered content to be output.

Yes, beautifully expressed.

> That would be the most elegant way and can be used for dynamic content.

Yes, but my current solution brakes on crossing the path of C code : I use
\gobbleinput that is defined as (according to some documentation) :
\def\gobbleuntil#1%
  {\long\def\next##1#1{}\next}
As I understand this code, the "goblling" is made as enclosing the text that
you dan't want to be added to the output as the body of a function.
If the text contains some restricted characters as the "%", this proposition
brakes.

> Now, If you already know if the level is know a head of time the slides can
> be given a level and you can use
> a custom mode that only outputs the slides to this level.

This is what I've made : I express a list of numbered slides and check if each
slide has to be outputted or not into the final document.

> Another way is to build a database or table which is processed from which to
> choose your slides!

This is the path I've followed so far with success for some of my lectures.
But, when I've applied the same process to slides containing C code, this
process brakes.

I've tried yesterday evening to modify my slide definition to use the solution
provided by Luigi, but I've failed.

> Or define a start/stop command that has a user level parameter and use mode
> to decide output or not!
> this approach should not interfere with other macros you are using.

How do you make this ?

Please save my remaining hairs on my head !
> Hope this helps
>
> regards
>       Keith.

Thank you very much for sparing some time to express so efficiently my problem.

best regards,
Pierre-François.
--
Bonnefoi Pierre-Francois                |    E-mail : bonne...@unilim.fr