Hi Gerben,

Indeed this is possible to use mkii and mkiv side by side.
In particular if you use TeXShop, it is enough to say at the beginning of your
TeX file

%!TEX TS-program = mkii

or

%!TEX TS-program = mkiv

where it is assumed that you have created two files named

        mkii.engine

and

        mkiv.engine

located in the directory

        ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines

For instance my file mkii.engine contains the following lines:

#!/bin/bash
source /Volumes/OK/context-minimal/tex/setuptex
texexec --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1"

where
        /Volumes/OK/context-minimal/tex/setuptex
is the path to the file setuptex in my Context standalone directory.

Best regards: OK