Thank you very much, Hans.

I think I had tried something with double braces before (I use them also for German booktitles to keep upper and lowercase intact) but only now I got it working:

Writing both

“author = {{Johann Wolfgang von} Goethe}”

and

“author = {Goethe, {Johann Wolfgang von}}”

in the BibTeX are easy workarounds for the problem I was describing. I can happily live with that. In case a problem like that arises I will anyway first take a look at the according BibTeX entry.

Greetings Jörg