Dne 27.2.2015 v 19:04 Hans Hagen napsal(a):
On 2/27/2015 5:53 PM, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
Hello ConTeXist.
Petr Olsak (maintainer of Czech/Slovak support for TeX) helped me with
simple typing of sign charts. He made a PlainTeX macro who is working
too in ConTeXt (see
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/230273/typing-of-math-sign-charts).

Petr Olsak (not ConTeXt even LaTeX user) was modified PlainTeX macro to
work in ConTeXt and asked the question:
"Does anybody know why ConTeXt sets catcode of & to 12? This means that
it is incompatible with plain TeX".

Which is imo no big deal.
I did not write that he would give redoing some work, after discovering that catcode & is different than in plainTEX.

May I therefore ask , what is the reason that has character & catcode
other than in Knuth PlainTeX?
There are catcodes of other characters incompatible?

Because the context table mechanisms don't use & (and never used it) so ther ei sno reason to make & special. The _ and ^ are also normal characters. For now we keep the $ for math (and in math mode the & ^ _ work as expected).

Although we're to some extend plain compatible it's not our aim, just like we're not amstex, latex, lamstex or anytex compatible.

Ok. Thanks for the explanation. I wrote to Peter that developer context to have a reason, and certainly it would from an ordinary whim not done. Even so, I am very satisfied with the degree of compatibility. Practically all of my old PlainTeX macros in ConTeXt work fine.
Thanx
Jaroslav