I’m trying to create something (like varioref in latex) that suppresses \at
output if the referenced item is on the current page. The main decision point
is with

\doifelse{\at[ref2]}{\rawcountervalue[page]}{ same page }{ different page }

no matter what I try (expdoifelse and other ways to get the current page) the
values never match.

\doifelse{\at[ref2]}{\at[ref1]}….. (ref1 and ref2 are on the same page but
don’t match

\doifelse{\rawcountervalue[page]}{1}…  it is page 1 but always fails.

The only match I get is with

\doifelse{\at[ref2]}{\at[ref2]}….  which is pretty useless

Presumably I’m doing something stupid. Or do i have to go for a much lower
level approach