On 3/31/2016 11:51 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016, Aidan Nichol wrote:

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016, Aidan Nichol wrote:

I have been looking at various options for controlling how figures
are placed on a page and based on answers to similar questions in
this mailing list I  tried various options. The most flexible one
seems to be using tables e.g.

\setupexternalfigures[location={default}]

\starttext

\placefigure[]{}{\externalfigure[hacker][height=1in]}

\startxtable[frame=off,align=low]
\startxrow
\startxcell[ny=2]
    \placefigure[force][]{left
twoup}{\externalfigure[mill][height=4in]}
 \stopxcell
 \startxcell
   \placefigure[force][]{the
first}{\externalfigure[spider][height=1.5in]}
 \stopxcell
\stopxrow
\startxrow
\startxcell
  \placefigure[force][]{the second}{\externalfigure[cow][height=1.5in]}
\stopxcell
\stopxrow
\stopxtable

It seems to work well except that figure numbers are being skipped.
In this example hacker=1 mill=8, spider=9 and cow=10.
Varying the contents of the table reveals that It is skipping two
times the number of figures in the table.

Is this an invalid combination of features I’m using or am I doing
something wrong?

The contents of a table are typeset multiple times to get an idea of the
height and width. Here is one option:

\useMPlibrary[dum]

\starttext

\bTABLE[frame=off,align=low]
\bTR
\bTD[ny=2]
     \placefigure[here,\iftrialtypesetting nonumber \fi]
                 []{left
twoup}{\externalfigure[mill][width=2in,height=4in]}
\eTD
\bTD
     \placefigure[here,\iftrialtypesetting nonumber \fi]
                 []{the
first}{\externalfigure[spider][width=2in,height=2in]}
\eTD
\eTR
\bTR
\bTD
     \placefigure[here,\iftrialtypesetting nonumber \fi]
                 []{the
second}{\externalfigure[cow][width=2in,height=2in]}
\eTD
\eTR
\eTABLE
\stoptext

Thanks Aditya

That solved the problem

@Hans: Does it make sense to disable \incrementcounter if
\trialtypesetting is active?

depends a bit .. other mechanisms do a save, increment, restore, which better reflects the number to be rendered (otherwise you can get oscillating runs)