On 2016-04-05 Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 4/5/2016 10:55 PM, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
> >
> > according to http://texdoc.net/texmf-
> > dist/doc/latex/microtype/microtype.pdf
> > pdfTeX offers fine tuning of:
> > (1) Character protrusion
> > (2) Font expansion
> > (3) Tracking
> > (4) Additional kerning
> > (5) Interword spacing
> >
> > AFAIK ConTeXt covers 1+2+(3?) ...
> > Are there any plans to cover the rest?

My concern was based on this introduction (on title page), especially on that
sentence marked with asterisks:

<cite>
Note that character protrusion requires pdfTeX (version 0.14f or later),
LuaTeX, or
XeTeX (at least version 0.9997). Font expansion works with pdfTeX (version 1.20
for
automatic expansion) or LuaTeX. The package will by default enable protrusion
and
expansion if they can safely be assumed to work. Disabling ligatures requires
pdfTeX
(≥ 1.30) or LuaTeX,

while the adjustment of interword spacing
and of kerning only works with pdfTeX (≥ 1.40).

Letterspacing is available with pdfTeX (≥ 1.40) or LuaTeX (≥ 0.62).
</cite>

> 3 - i have no clue what tracking is

As explained in that document this seems to be a synonym for letter spacing,
which is IMO supported.

> 4 - neither what additional kerning is (unless you mean (usually ugly)
> extra inter character kerning, which is supported)

Rereading the description in that document there is no advanced processing
behind it, so most likely just that ugly kerning, already available in ConTeXt.
Just curious why not mentioned as supported on the title page.

> 5 - it being a rather core tex feature, normal interword spacing is
> supported

This seems to be a standard glue with plus/minus value. Again, curious why not
mentioned as supported on the title page.

Are you aware of any typographic feature which is available in pdfTeXt, but not
in ConTeXt?

Thnaks, Jan