that's what I did at first:

\startsetups btx:duane:cite:external
  {\externalfigure[\btxfield{url_image}][width=10cm]}
\stopsetups

the problem is that I need the control the width of externalfigure in the text.
With the above solution I have to define a different cite rendering for every
possible width I need in my layout.

Isn't there a way to just get the filename of the cite so I can a macro with
the width as an argument?

Thanks Michael