On 8/9/2016 10:41 PM, Mohammad Hossein Bateni wrote:
Hello,

I have a bunch of simple fonts for Arabic/Persian.  These fonts lack
Latin characters, etc., so I use fallbacks to work with them.

I just noticed that \high does not work with them, and have not been
able to pinpoint the issue.  See the MWE below.

\starttypescript [serif][samim][name]
  \definefontsynonym[Serif][Samim]
\stoptypescript

\definetypeface [myfont][rm] [serif][samim][default]
\setupbodyfont [myfont]

\starttext
%\definedfont[Samim*arabic]
۱۲۳\high{۴}۵۶.
\stoptext

I am using Persian digits because the font lacks Latin digits as I
mentioned.  If I use the \definedfont approach, I don't see the
character ۴ (argument of \high) at all.  With the typescript approach,
the same character /is/ typeset but is /not/ raised; it appears on the
baseline but with smaller size.

Any ideas why this is happening?  Could it be that some parameters, for
instance, \exheight are not properly set/read for this font?  Actually,
I looked at the non-math fontdimens in syst-fnt.mkiv, and everything
except \slantperpoint (expected) and \exheight (awkward) is non-zero.  I
don't know where \exheight comes from—perhaps from the height of glyph
for 'x', which the font lacks—however, \emheight is 12pt, although the
font also lacks a glyph for 'm'.

I am also attaching the font in case that helps.

Normally one sets up a proper bodyfont (and environment if needed) while you use just a simple font switch and that one is unrelated to any other font setting.

I'll add two new commands: \sx and \sxx so that you can say:

    \setuplow [style=\sx]
    \setuphigh[style=\sx]

for such cases. However, as these are derived relative scales they are normally not compatible with \tx and txx sizes.