No, this is a feature, not a bug!

According to the original graph macros, the data files are kept open, and thus
subsequent reads will pick up successive data sets in a single file. This is
explicitly stated in the documentation.

A consequence for us in ConTeXt mkiv, where the metapost code is called in
multiple passes, is that one must explicitly close the data file if one does
not want this feature. This, too, I documented. So don't break John Hobby's
code by removing the saved.

Alan