On Tue, 6 Sep 2016, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

 Mikael P. Sundqvist <mailto:mic...@gmail.com>
 6. September 2016 um 21:07

 Dear all,

 since I got no answer here I cross posted on stackexchange (see
 http://tex.stackexchange.com/q/328147/52406). Now, I got a solution to
 this from Aditya. It seems that it is not yet clear to me (or Aditya,
 as far as I understand from the reply) which float placements that
 respects the \setupfloats[indentnext=yes] and which not. Or more
 importantly, why.

 To make this email thread more complete, the solution of Aditya adds

 \unprotect
 \def\page_one_place_float_auto
 {\page_one_place_float_otherwise\nonoindentation}
 \def\page_one_place_float_bottom
 {\page_one_place_float_otherwise\nonoindentation}
 \def\page_one_place_float_margin
 {\page_margin_blocks_process_float\nonoindentation}
 \def\page_one_place_float_leftmargin

{\page_one_place_float_side_indeed\page_sides_process_float_leftmargin\nonoindentation}

\def\page_one_place_float_rightmargin{\page_one_place_float_side_indeed\page_sides_process_float_rightmargin\nonoindentation}
 \protect
When backwards compatiblity is a reason for not changing this adding a hook can be solution, e.g.

-\def\page_one_place_float_auto       {\page_one_place_float_otherwise}
+\def\page_one_place_float_auto {\page_one_place_float_otherwise\rootfloatparameter\c!next}

which can be used with \setupfloat[next=\indentation]

In the move to MkII to MkIV, there have been many changes that are not backward compatible. So, I am not in favor of adding a new key when we already have an indentnext key just for the sake of backward compatibility.

It will be nice if all the location alternatives in setupfloat honored the indentnext key. It is really awkaward that when indentnext=yes (or auto) location=top and location=bottom behave differently.

If backward compatibility is really important, we could add a mechanism to control the indentnext key for each location; but that would add too much complexity to the code for very little benefit. If one wants to mix floats that indent the next paragraph with floats that don't indent the next paragraph, it is possible to define different types of floats (with the same counters and lists) such that indentnext=yes for one type and indentnext=no for the other.

Aditya