On 12.10.2016 16:38, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
Wolfgang,

your approach is right, but hasn’t Thomas hit a bug?

According to the description from page 301 in i-context.pdf,
\startlinenumbering ... \stoplinenumbering inherit from
\setuplinenumbering.

Thanks Wolfgang, this solution works (I must admit I wasn't aware of
\definelinenumbering). Nevertheless, I think Pablo is right because this
means one must define every setup in advance. In some situations, it
might be useful to change on the fly, and I think this "bleeding" of
setups into preceding blocks is unexpected.

\startlinenumbering [location=text,distance=0.5cm]
    \dorecurse{2}{\input tufte} \page
\stoplinenumbering

line number placement is delayed till a page is constructed (only then do we know where the margins are) and settings get reset after \stoplinennumbering

(there are more cases when grouping can interfere with pagebreaks after the group ends)