This was submitted over a year ago, but probably got lost in the run-up to the 2015 annual meeting. It is still a problem with ConTeXt ver: 2016.11.18 22:20 MKIV beta fmt: 2016.11.19 int: english/english luajittex, 1.0.1. I am happy to provide a pdf and log file, or other traces, if that helps.

%% When tagging state=start and the font is ebgaramond,
%%  no hyphens are printed at word breaks.
%%
%% When tagging state=start and the font is libertine,
%%  or any font other than ebgaramond that I have tried,
%%  hyphens are printed at word breaks.
%%
%% When tagging is not started and the font is ebgaramond,
%%  hyphens _are_ printed at word breaks.
%%

 \setuptagging[state=start]% remove this line for comparison
 \setupbodyfont[ebgaramond]% \setupbodyfont[libertine]

 \starttext

   \hsize7cm

   \input zapf \par
   \input zapf \par