Dear devs,

Natural Tables are quite handy but their syntax is a little verbose.

\bTABLE
  \bTR
    \bTD ... \eTD
  \eTR
\eTABLE

There exist nice extensions which make the format less verbose by mapping

\startTABLE
  \NC ... \NR\NR
\stopTABLE

back to the original macros.

The new method for tables, called xtables, is faster and seems to have less
problems than Natural Tables.  However, the syntax is even more verbose

\startxtable
  \startxrow
    \startxcell ... \stopxcell
  \stopxrow
\stopxtable

Can we have similar abbreviations as for Natural Tables?  I am thinking of
something like

\startXTABLE
  \NC ... \NR\NR
\stopXTABLE

I tried myself rewriting tabl-nte.mkiv for xtables but it is not
straightforward.

What do you think of this proposal?

Kind regards,
Henri