By trial-and-error I’ve come up with the following. It seems like a hack but
both variants are close enough to my requirements that I would be able to work
with one of them.

There’s still one catch: When I change the caption key „location“ to „bottom“
together with „inbetween={\blank[-\strutdepth]}“ the picture is aligned with
the black line (top of the first text line).
This would actually be the preferred solution also for „{left,high}“. Yet I
couldn’t find a possibility to shift the picture vertically by some millimeters.
Is there?

Best regards,
Florian.

\useMPlibrary        [dum]
\setuplayout         [grid=yes]
\setupinterlinespace [line=20pt]

\setupcaption [figure] [
                                                location={left,high},
%%                                              location={bottom}, %different
alignment
                                                number=no,
%                                               inbetween={\blank[-.01mm]},
%Variant 1: picture top-aligned, caption on grid

inbetween={\blank[-\strutdepth]}, %Variant 2: picture and caption top-aligned,
caption not on grid
                                                ]

\starttext
\showgrid

\startplacefigure
        [location=top,none,title={There is not so much basic instruction, as of
now, as there was
    in the old days, showing the differences between good and bad typographic
design.},
        ]
  \placeongrid[max]{
  \externalfigure [dummy] [width=.6\textwidth]
  }
\stopplacefigure

\input zapf

\stoptext

> Den 6. apr. 2017 kl. 10.12 skrev Florian Grammel <florian.gram...@gmail.com>:
>
> At http://tex.stackexchange.com/q/362215/6819 I asked: How can I place the
> top line of the caption (location={left, high}) on the grid and have it align
> with the figure at same height.
>
> I hoped this to be solvable by some simple instructions that I just haven’t
> been able to figure out. But Henri Menke suggested in a comment that the
> mechanism might not be implemented.
> Is this really the case?
> And if so: is there any way to achieve the alignment anyway?
>
> I’d greatly appreciate any help as this is an important requirement for my
> present project!
>
> Best regards,
> Florian.

Florian Grammel