I recently finished a book project in multimarkdown, which I converted to LaTeX
(I could not use ConTeXt because of its limited bibliographical functions in
comparison to BibLatex).

It worked fine. If I remember correctly, I preferred multimarkdown over
markdown for more possibilities regarding tables.

Robert