On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 6/7/2017 4:50 PM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Mikael P. Sundqvist <mic...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> this might be a matter of taste.
>>>
>>> look at the output of (attached). In my opinion the first square root
>>> is to "high", while it looks better on the second line. From
>>> setup-en.pdf it looks like the default of \setupmathradical is set to
>>> normal (and not default). I don't understand what normal should mean,
>>> but I think the alternative=default looks better. (The lucida fonts
>>> are loaded in this example, since the effect is more clear for them).
>
> Ok, this is the story
>
> -- radicals (roots) are rather special and have some hard coded properties
> (like always scriptscript in the degree)
>
> -- \over (and friends) that are used in \frac (which by the way can be
> configured in many ways) has the danger of getting the wrong style as side
> effect of parsing (math list construction) and processing
>
> -- in context we want to support color etc for noth in a consistent way as
> well as style control (important in educational math)
>
> Normally it works out ok with the 'normal' setting but there is some catch
> here. The size of the radical symbols is determine by
>
> -- RadicalVerticalGap             =  50
> -- RadicalDisplayStyleVerticalGap = 175
>
> (These are lucide values) and it happens that the second one if too large
> which can give a bad threshold in our case. In cambria it's
>
> RadicalVerticalGap             = 166
> RadicalDisplayStyleVerticalGap = 345
>
> So a 1:2 ratio. If we use that for lucida it looks better, so
>
>   lucida-opentype-math.lfg
>
> can become:
>
> local function FixRadicalDisplayStyleVerticalGap(value,target,original)
>     local o = original.mathparameters.RadicalVerticalGap -- 50
>     return 2 * o * target.parameters.factor
> end
>
> return {
>     name = "lucida-opentype-math",
>     version = "1.00",
>     comment = "Goodies that complement lucida opentype.",
>     author = "Hans Hagen",
>     copyright = "ConTeXt development team",
>     mathematics = {
>         parameters = {
>             RadicalDisplayStyleVerticalGap =
> FixRadicalDisplayStyleVerticalGap,
>         },
>         alternates = {
>             italic       = { feature = 'ss01', value = 1, comment =
> "Mathematical Alternative Lowercase Italic" },
>             arrow        = { feature = 'ss02', value = 1, comment =
> "Mathematical Alternative Smaller Arrows" },
>             operator     = { feature = 'ss03', value = 1, comment =
> "Mathematical Alternative Smaller Operators" },
>             calligraphic = { feature = 'ss04', value = 1, comment =
> "Mathematical Alternative Calligraphic Characters" },
>             zero         = { feature = 'ss05', value = 1, comment =
> "Mathematical Alternative Zero" },
>             partial      = { feature = 'ss20', value = 1, comment =
> [...]

Hans,

many thanks for your explanation, it is really appreciated when you
take your time to do this!

I updated my local lucida-opentype-math.lfg and indeed it works like
charm. I think the uncramped version I get now looks better than what
I forced with the temporary solution that I did not understand.

/Mikael