> On 4. Jun 2017, at 18:55, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> For those using synctex, an alternative method is:
>
> \setupsynctex[state=start]
>
> It is tuned for use in a more complex setup where one wants access to source
> files (with content) and not to e.g. styles in a tex tree. It also works
> reasonable well with (also included) xml files. Personally I never use
> synctex but for some projects it came in handy for authors (think of proofing
> xml files with hundreds of nested inclusions and files in a rather branched
> tree.) Of course you can expect a similar performance hit as normal synctex
> but commenting the above line in production results in zero overhead. Using
> the syntex flag on the command line (--synctex=context will work) can be
> messy.
>
> This currently only works with the windows binaries version on the garden (as
> we need luatex 1.0.5).

Hans, thanks for that info.

\setupsynctex[state=start] seems to work fine with Beta 2017.07.05 23:01 -
LuaTeX 1.05.0 on the Mac.

Whereas I noticed that -the switches -synctex=context or --synctex=zipped have
completely stopped working with that Beta (or that luatex version).

It throws errors like this on every file I've tested:

lua error       > lua error on line 33 in file ../c-000-s3-e6-front-de.tex:

...eta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/node-syn.lua:490: attempt to
call upvalue 'collect' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
        ...eta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/node-syn.lua:490: in
function 'luatex_synctex_collect'
        [string "local nodes_references_handler = nodes.refere..."]:14: in
function <[string "local nodes_references_handler = nodes.refere..."]:7>
        (...tail calls...)
        ...eta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/pack-obj.lua:129: in
function <...eta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/pack-obj.lua:127>
        (...tail calls...)

So, I guess it is safe to assume that the synctex command line switch is
finally deprecated?

--
Tom