On 10/8/2017 11:09 AM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
Dear Luigi and Hans,

I have the following sample:

     \setupbackend
       [format=PDF/A-3a,
        intent=sRGB IEC61966-2.1,
        profile={sRGB.icc,default_gray.icc},
        level=0]

     \setuptagging[state=start]

     \setupcolors[cmyk=no, pagecolormodel=auto]

     \setupexternalfigure[location=default]

     \startTEXpage[offset=1em, align=center]
     \dontleavehmode
     \externalfigure[cow-black]

     \dontleavehmode
     \externalfigure[cow-brown]

     \dontleavehmode
     \externalfigure[basic-figures.pdf][scale=200]
     \stopTEXpage
     \stoptext

The third external figure is found at
http://pdf.ousia.tk/basic-figures.pdf. I included it, since it adds a
transparency group (and I guess this might be relevant).

PDF/A-3a validation (http://verapdf.org) warns about XObjects not having
any ICC profile.

Would it be possible to add the "profile" key to \externalfigure, so
that each figure may have its own profile (or the reference to the
profile) added?

i looked into it and it's not going to happen

(1) we don't interpret the included images

(2) and even if we could mess with the either or not present resource getting the resource from someplace (main document, upstream object) is dubious and fragile too

so .. fix the included images ... (bitmap images can be autoconverted into profiled ones runtime but i didn't figure out a call to whatever program for pdf yet)