On 12/27/2017 7:01 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
Why is the \vec{} arrow too short in some cases?
Compare $\vec{X}$ to $\vec{Y}$.

The MWE below looks wrong in the default font
and is even uglier when pagella is used.

Alan

%\setupbodyfont [pagella]

\starttext
$\vec{X}$ vs. $\vec{Y}$
\stoptext
As this is has been the logic in tex font design for more than 3 decades, there's not much that we can do about it apart from patching the font (doable but somewhat nasty and boring as we then need to patch specific elements of (each) hvariant and it falls in the category "hard to motivate myself for").

\showglyphs

\starttext
    \start
        \dorecurse{50}{$\vec{\blackrule[width=#1pt]}$\space}\unskip\par
    \stop
    \blank
    \start
        \switchtobodyfont [pagella]
        \dorecurse{50}{$\vec{\blackrule[width=#1pt]}$\space}\unskip\par
    \stop
    \blank
    \start
        \switchtobodyfont [cambria]
        \dorecurse{50}{$\vec{\blackrule[width=#1pt]}$\space}\unskip\par
    \stop
\stoptext

Shows that it's a font design issue: the extensible has a threshold related to the middle part and it should (1) have at least one more fixed size, or (2) have one fixed size and for the rest be extensible but that would be somewhat inefficient ion most cases, so (3) here we have a trade-off.

Just blame the font ... cambria is (of course) ok.