On Thu, 2018-04-05 at 01:18 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 4/5/2018 12:43 AM, Henri Menke wrote:
> >
> > Dear list,
> >
> > I'm sure you aware of the very useful "texdoc" command line utility in TeX
> > live
> > which brings up the PDF documentation for packages.  ConTeXt standalone also
> > comes with documentation in
> >
> >      /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/doc/context
> >
> > However, I find it tedious to always search for the correct subfolder to get
> > the document I need.  It would be great if there was something like
> >
> >      mtxrun --script doc metafun
> >
> > which would open the MetaFun manual.  Similarly "mtxrun --script doc
> > gnuplot"
> > would open the manual of the gnuplot module, etc.
> this is one of these magic features that suddenly is available on your
> system
>
> mtxrun --launch metafun*.pdf
> mtxrun --launch cld-mkiv.pdf
> mtxrun --all --launch "*-mkiv.pdf"

Hm, that requires that I know enough about the name of the document.  A list
would be quite nice in the sense that I could just type "metafun" and then
select from "metafun-p.pdf" and "metafun-s.pdf" instead of opening both
documents.

> features like that have always been present in the context suite of
> programs (i bet even before texdoc) but it might be that i don't call
> the right thing on todays linux:
>
> local launchers={
>    windows="start %s",
>    macosx="open %s",
>    unix="$BROWSER %s &> /dev/null &",
> }

I'm quite sure it should be xdg-open (or $PDFVIEWER if it is set and the file is
PDF) on Linux.  For me $BROWSER is unset.
https://linux.die.net/man/1/xdg-open

$ mtxrun --launch metafun*.pdf
resolvers       | resolving | forcing filetype 'tex'
resolvers       | resolving | checking wildcard 'metafun*.pdf'
resolvers       | methods | resolving, method 'concatinators', how 'tag', tag
'file'
resolvers       | methods | resolving, method 'concatinators', how 'tag', tag
'file'
mtxrun          | launching /opt/context/tex/texmf-
context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/metafun-p.pdf
sh: 1: /opt/context/tex/texmf-
context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/metafun-p.pdf: Permission denied