On 4/20/2018 4:22 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
Am Thu, 12 Apr 2018 10:06:17 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

But with cambria the subscript isn't correct either when it is a
single char:

\setupbodyfont[cambria]
\starttext
   $\gamma_{ee} \gamma_{e}$

   $T_{\tf fluff}$

   $T_{\tf f}$
\stoptext

i'll look into it ... (but even cambria doesn't have all these kerns ..
as said: a mess)

With the newest context the problem is gone. In latex too if I use
luatex 1.08 instead of luatex 1.07. So I guess it was an engine bug
;-).
depends on ones view: it's controlled by a (yet another) variable now that default to 'just inject them' but interference with proper math kerns can happen in that case (it's just that not many fonts have both of them) ... so, at some point in context (when we have better math fonts) i'll add some checks and disable it selectively (because i don't want that interference)