I would be satisfied when a returned 404 error code will be handled within a
reasonable (configurable) time delay. As for redirection, there I would not
mind if it is not included.
Restrictions like that are not a problem for me, because this is for building a
pdf that accesses many internet located files. The check on existence is
therefore especially meant for spotting missing or misnamed files.

Hans van der Meer