On Mon, 28 May 2018, John Grasty wrote:

I am trying to adjust the space between my tables and the body text. Below is a minimal example. My problem is that I can seem to get the before= or after= to do anything no matter what command I enter. I have also tried spacebefore= and spaceafter=

This was crossposted to tex stackexchange where Metafox replied:

<quote>
Some environment with instances let you set certain options only for all instances and not only a single one, the spacebefore and spaceafter settings for floats are such a option.

This means only the following setup is possible

\setupfloat
  [spacebefore=2*line,
    spaceafter=2*line]

but not this one where I change only the values for the table instance.

\setupfloat
  [table]
  [spacebefore=2*line,
    spaceafter=2*line]

</quote>

I am curious as to why this design choice was made. Does it make sense to change these to per-instance (basically change `\rootfloatparameter` with `floatparameter` in page-flt.mkiv).

Aditya