Thanks Hans, that's really helpful!

This is not for the fainthearted so here we go

\startluacode
    function document.MyBoldPub(set,tag)
     -- local a = publications.getfield(set,tag,"author")
     -- inspect(a)
     -- local c = publications.getcasted(set,tag,"author")
     -- inspect(c)
        if c[1].surnames[1] == "Myname" then
            context.bold(function()
                context.btxflush('author')
            end )
        else
            context.btxflush('author')
        end
    end
\stopluacode

So if I wanted to bold one specific author in a reference of many, I can just loop over publications.getcasted(...), and print the appropriate names, initials, etc...

That said -- is there any way to call the appropriate authorconversion routine based on the \setupbtx settings? I found the publications.authorhashers method table, which seems to do most of this work, but I'm not sure how to pick the appropriate method and ensure that the correct separators are used.

Stan