I have an entirely different suggestion, possibly fitting the description of a
possible  “lean” version.

One important feature of TeX has been the longevity of the documents. This is
of course of little interest to those of us who
typeset a book/journal for publishing and care little about it when it’s done.
But there is an interest in keeping the documents available in the long term,
meaning decades and possibly centuries (making assumptions about the human race
here).  TeX has survived the transition from dvi/ps to pdf, and it is probably
fair
to assume that pdf won’t be around forever. But it is probably also fair to
assume that there will be straightforward ways to generate from TeX sources
documents in a
future PDF replacement.
This is in particular of concern in the scientific community where
mathematical/physical/chemical formulas and diagrams are very hard to parse
semantically
(which, admittedly, might change in the future, too). For instance, the
preprint server at arXiv.org has been storing scientific preprints since 1991,
preferably in TeX or LaTeX.
It would be an enormous benefit if the arXiv would accept a ConTeXt version.
Scientific journals might then follow suit.
At the moment I believe they use LaTeX from TeXLive 2016.

It is of course a question whether a potentially much larger user base is
desirable, because it likely means more requests for support/documentation etc.

In any case, I would very much appreciate another “frozen” release like MK II
that one can use for documents that need to be  retypeset over years
(like my lecture notes that need an update every few years).

Matthias