On 8. Aug 2018, at 00:54, Alan Braslau <braslau.l...@comcast.net> wrote:

> tex/context/interface/mkiv/i-context.pdf

Thank you! I didn’t know I already had this updated version of a document I’ve
already been using. But however useful this document already is, it does
illustrate some of my problems. For instance, in the entry ‘\setupnote’ I see:

…
indicator: yes no
distance: dimension
…

Surely this is fine for those who have been working on ConTeXt for years at a
very low coding level. But I see this and ask myself: “indicator of what?
distance to what?” etc. (Sometimes, when confronted with such information, I
just play around a bit with changing parameters and see what happens: sometimes
I discover the meanings, sometimes I don’t.)

‘\setupnote’ inherits from ‘\setupframed’. There one finds

…
profile = NAME
empty = yes no
…

and similar questions arise: “what kind of profile?”, “what is empty or not?”
etc.

Unfortunately the source browser on the Wiki is out of order, otherwise that
might have helped.

Suggestion / request: all the ConTeXt source files are, of course, read and
processed in a particular order. It would surely be useful if someone could
indicate where this chain begins. Anybody who would be interested in sorting
out the workings of ConTeXt and writing a manual (no, I am not making any
promises yet :-) ) could then trace how one command leads to another, another,
another… and how the entire system is built up.

Robert