On Mon, 1 Oct 2018, David Walther wrote:

I looked at your example. I ran your example, and on my installation, it has
the same problem as I described.  I have included a PDF file of my original
sample file, and also the PDF generated from your example. What version of
ConTeXt are you using?

ConTeXt MkIV 2018.09.30

What version are you using?

On my installation of context, columns are still coming out "ugly" as you will see in the PDF t1.pdf.

Everything seems okay with the latest version of ConTeXt (see attached pdf, obtained from your t1.tex).

Aditya