On 10/2/2018 1:39 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
Am Tue, 2 Oct 2018 11:29:46 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:
  Can't you check for a free range instead?
sure, but then i also loose some functionality in context (unless i gho
for ugly solutions) ... as all glyphs are supposed to have a name access
by name is a pretty good alternative

Well in my view name and code point are both valid and useful
accesses (and I wouldn't trust names too much).

Beside this:
xetex has (for non-legacy fonts) primitives for all accesses: by
char (unicode), slot and name.

whatever ...

luatex hasn't, here the only (primitive) access are commands like
\char which expect a number; the name field of a character is marked
as "unused" in the manual.

sure, as one can write lua code to provide that feature .. there is no benefit in having that code in the engine (in fact, even more could go)

Neither has the generic fontloader imho some suitable primitive
command for name access. All the examples in the generic folder uses
numbers or direct input: e.g. \Uchar"1D49D or \Uradical "0 "221A

one can write these helpers ... i consider those things macro package dependent asd there's often some higher leel interface

So it is imho quite natural that people who write code and packages
expect the access by \char + code point to work. Why should I bother
with a (perhaps font specific) glyph name if I can simply look up a
clear code point number in a table?

ok, so it depends on the users and viewpoints of macro package writers .. if some extra glyph cannot be given a meaningful name it's probably not worth using anyway

And if I got it right you are reserving a specific space to have
stable numbers internally, so you are caring about numbers too ;-)

symbolic mapping and for text not hard coded (and shared therefore efficient) btu i shifted that space up and hope for the best (for context users that is, as i cannot test a lot now)

the main issue is that there are fonts that use private > 0xFFFF space

I don't know. Wikipedia says that code2000 uses plane 15 but I
didn't check.

anyway ... i adapted the code to keep the pua intact and also added an option for outside context to keep bogus names ... (context users have several ways to access shapes anyway)