On 10/15/2018 10:02 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
Am Mon, 15 Oct 2018 21:21:32 +0200 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez:

Dear list,

sorry for this basic question, but what defines the size in a font?

I mean, we can take TeX Gyre Bonum and TeX Gyre Adventor at twelve
points. x-height is different, M-width is slightly different.

I thought it was the same A-height, but it isn’t.

If two fonts have the same size, I think there may be a dimension which
has the same length in both. Which one is this?

None. The font decides about its size.
actually, the designer ... anyway, one can compare 10pt dejavu with 10pt latin modern and 10pt lucida and you'll see that there is no real standard in size

(and when one sees documents made by tex on the web it looks like not all users care about mixing funny sizes, but then, most webpages don't do it so they might consider it normal)