On 11/9/2018 2:40 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
Am 2018-11-08 um 23:51 schrieb Henri Menke <henrime...@gmail.com>:

Clearly you haven't understood the meaning of “beta”.

Thank you for educating me.

If you don't want your documents to break, don't update.

Since when?
I started using ConTeXt in 1999 and don’t expect my MkII code to work any more.
I’m still kind of an evangelist for ConTeXt, but that doesn’t protect me from
getting very frustrated at times.

It seems to me that the replacement of the column layout code was premature,
when it breaks heading setup, frame handling and can’t handle columns that
don’t start at the top of a page.
- the new columnset code has been around for a while now and has become default ... the old code is a module

- the new mixed column code has been around for even longer (and always was default on my machine) btu the old code is available as module

both old mechanism were only partially adapted to mkiv and i bet that there were side effects

- the new page columns mode is the way to go for columns with floats etc

so we have three mkiv column models and two old ones available as modules (i expect them to keep working more or less ok but nothing will be changed in them)