On 11/14/18 1:55 PM, Manuel Blanco wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Any updated documentation that takes you from beginner to intermediate
>>> would be apreciated too.
>>
>> For ConTeXt or for the TextMate bundle?
>
> ConTeXt, but I don't think there's an _updated_ structured
> introduction. For instance regarding fonts I read here
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/448812/the-definitive-guide-to-context-mkiv-documentation/448813#448813
> that the latest documentation is
> http://www.pragma-ade.nl/general/manuals/fonts-mkiv.pdf

Hi Manuel,

maybe the problem with ConTeXt is that the newcomers that complain about
the lack of introductions never write them (even when they learn how to
use ConTeXt).

> But going there it goes to much depth and I don't know if I need
> simplefonts, definefontfamily, setupbodyfont, starttypescript, etc.
> and even seeing that may be those can coexist, I don't know what's the
> use case for each one.

The simplefonts module is deprecated.

I use \definefontfamily and \setupbodyfont, such as in:

    \definefontfamily[mainface][rm][EB Garamond 12]
    \setupbodyfont[mainface, 14pt]

> I remember when I started with LaTeX there was a huge number of
> beginner-intermediate documents (many of which I now wouldn't
> recommend even to my worst enemies, but at least there were many to
> read), but here there are much less, and those that seem complete you
> see they are from early 2000s (and with how much it changes in ConTeXt
> you don't know what to believe).

ConTeXt is not LaTeX and their development roads are rather diverse.

> I know TeX core enough to know how it works, LaTeX enough to know how
> it's expected to work (and if I don't know something, I know where to
> look), but ConTeXt I don't know where to find introductory updated
> material, and also some text about the whole way context organises
> everything (how files are organised, project structure, how setups
> work, etc., kind of a whole idea to know where to look when there's
> doubt about certain area).

You can always read the source
(http://pragma-ade.com/context/beta/cont-tmf.zip πŸ˜‰), if you are in the
mood.

> Also there's this list, but one does not feel like spamming this list
> sharing newbie questions with those of people that actually work with
> this system. And that while showing zero ability to be
> self-sufficient.

Sorry, but you forgot the wiki (https://wiki.contextgarden.net/). If you
ever find that something might be missing there, updating the document
is always a great idea.

If you are a newcomer, sharing questions might be an approach, but
asking them is usually a more efficient one 😎.

There is nothing wrong about asking in this mailing list, as long as you
don’t expect ultra-fast (or even fast πŸ˜”) answers. Some of your
questions may go unnoticed, but others may get replies.

BTW, if you are subscribed to the ES-TEX mailing list, you may also
raise your questions about ConTeXt there (as long as you prepend
"(ConTeXt)" to the subject of your message).

I hope it helps,

Pablo

--
http://www.ousia.tk