On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 22:05:27 +0100
Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > But even your solution doesn't work here. Did you try it in the
> > example project file?
>
> \startenvironment [*]
>
> \startsetups [itemgroup:en]
>    \setupitemgroup [itemize] [i]
> \stopsetups
>
> \startsetups [itemgroup:sv]
>    \setupitemgroup [itemize] [a]
> \stopsetups
>
> \setuplanguage
>    [en]
>    [setups=itemgroup:en]
>
> \setuplanguage
>    [sv]
>    [setups=itemgroup:sv]
>
> \appendtoks
> \doifdocumentvariable{language}{\mainlanguage[\documentvariable{language}]}
> \to \everysetupdocument
>
> \stopenvironment

That works, thanks.

One more question: I used to use modes, since I could just

  \startmode[*en]
    …
  \stopmode

any number of times. There are many language dependent settings in
the environment files.

With named setups I need to specify a name for each occurrence and
gather them at the end. This is not as clean. Is it possible e.g. to
add something to an already existing setup instead of creating a new
one every time?

Marco