On 11/27/2018 11:00 PM, Joseph Canedo wrote:
I’ve tried context.processbuffer but I am afraid it’s not what I am after, most probably I have not phrased clearly my question.

What I am looking for is roughly what’s described in Taco’s presentation https://meeting.contextgarden.net/2014/talks/2014-09-12-taco-luatex/luatextalk.pdf

A way to decompose some input into tokens which represent either normal text, csnames etc…  I had a try to this token library in LuaTeX but I could not find examples of how to use it. I suspect that buffers mechanism use it somehow.
you can pick up stuff from the input so in principle you can start your input with a token scanner, but then you not only end up with lots of 'tokens' but also need to interpret them ... and that is actually what tex is quite effecient in and good at, so the question is: what do you want to achieve ... there might be better ways